There has been a fairly recent development in human history that many of us sit at desks all day and aren’t up to performing physical activity. Did you know that the human body wasn’t designed to just sit around? Being a couch potato is partially why obesity and other health concerns related to physical activity have become such a problem in the United States. Remember that while on vacation we should not forget that staying in shape is very important in order to live a healthy life. The good news is that you can exercise while you’re on vacation. Try exploring a new fitness class while traveling. Try SoulCyle or a different type of yoga. The options are endless
Walking is a great way to warm up before starting any exercise routine and also a great explore new destinations. Enjoy nature while walking and appreciate little pleasures you see on your way; shades of the trees, and the morning breeze; take time to feel them. Walking doesn’t require any special equipment or athletic skills.
Now that your body is warmed up lets jump right into our 3 simple yet effective exercises:
Squats Not Shots
It’s no secret that squats are king of exercises, or should I say queen? From expert to novices alike the benefits are endless. This is an exercise that is loved by most ladies because when you do it regularly, it tends to give us ladies a nice round butt and, do you remember what Sir Mix-A-Lot said about big butts?
“I like big butts and I can not lie. You other brothers can’t deny. That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist. And a round thing in your face. You get sprung, want to pull up tough cause you notice that butt was stuffed. Deep in the jeans she’s wearing I’m hooked and I can’t stop staring. Oh! Baby, I want to get witch and take your picture. My homeboys tried to warn me but with …” Okay, as you can see I get sidetracked very easily. Now, back to what I was saying! LOL
While squats are great for sculpting the butt and quads it doesn’t end there. Squats target the back, hamstrings, abdominal muscles, and calves. The importance and effects of this exercise can and will be seen within a couple of months as well as having an effect on your later years. The building of strong bones, muscle strengthening will help fight osteoporosis and forever impact your daily life.
- Feet should be shoulder width apart with your feet and knees facing forward
- Start in a controlled fashion bending knees while allowing your hips to bend back behind you, descend until knees are fully bent
- Extend knees and hips until legs are straight
The push up is an exercise every lady should know how to do. It works your pectoral (chest) and tricep muscles. Along with many different variations and a cardio workout. This exercise is very effective and also a free form of exercise.
- Start with positioning your hands shoulder width apart, palms flat, body straight and stiff as a board
- Your abs and butt will tighten naturally when in proper form. Make sure you don’t stick your butt up in the air, the higher you raise your rear end the more work you put on your shoulders than chest; now you are in a perfect push up position.
- Concentrate on your breathing
- Inhale when going down and exhale when going on
- Get a rhythm going, lower your body slowly, get the oxygen to your lungs, and brain, then explode up (exhale) with everything you got
I don’t know a single soul that loves burpees. They tend to make me a little dizzy, so I hate them. Not to mention the fact that most of the time when I get down it takes an act of Congress for me to get up. It is a full body exercise and one that requires no equipment at all.
- Start in a squat position with your hands on the ground in front of you
- Then kick your feet backwards to a push-up position
- You then immediately return your feet to their original squat position
- Without pause, you then leap up as high as you can from the squat position
You are using a lot of muscles with you going down to the ground, kicking your feet back, and then leaping into the air. More importantly, you are exploding your quads and butt muscles that make up a large percentage of your muscle mass. Burpees increase your heart rate and causes your body to burn calories so that it can supply energy to those musles.
While these exercises aren’t going to give you a killer body, they will help you feel better and make you healthier. Then that extra margarita you have on vacation won’t make you feel so guilty.
Do you maintain your fitness routine while on vacation or do you take a hiatus? Comment below.