Before we dive into it, let me give you a run down of the hotel and its story:
Name of Hotel: Chijmes Dallas
Location: Bishop Arts District in Dallas, Texas
Owners: Andra Maldovan and her late son Keaton
Rooms: Intimate, 12-room boutique hotel
Price: Starting at $189.00 per night
History: 1940s community chapel
Story: The owner and her son traveled around the world together and this hotel was inspired by their travels
The Hotel Story
The Chijmes boutique is niched as a “haven for wanders,” and I felt right at home. Wanderlust and the love of travel is in the air and it’s really no surprise considering Andra and her late son Keaton were inspired to found this hotel based on the love, beauty, and wonder they discovered in places around the world. Their travel adventure began when Keaton was just 2 years old and lead them to five continents and countless countries.
It was founded for people like you and me—the wanders, the explorers, the adventures, the slightly unconventional. This boutique hotel in Dallas was a dream and passion for the mother-son duo, however, sadly Andra’s son, Keaton, committed suicide in March 2018.
Inside the hotel, you’ll discover a beautiful and symbolic piece of artwork in memorial to Keaton. On it is a hand, angel, heart, and man. The hand represents strength and the entire piece is symbolic of the places mama and her son traveled and where he has gone that she cannot yet travel to.I loved this hotel for so many reasons and one of them is because a deeper story is shared. There’s a real and raw story behind the inspiration and journey of this space that so many people can relate to. Mama Andra participates in many suicide prevention fundraisers and also supports The Giving Keys initiative, a pay it forward company that supports jobs for people transitioning out of homelessness. So, it is a space full of heart, inspiration, and a giving spirit.The Hotel Style and Themes
Individuality, culture, and diversity are at the core of the Chijmes and it’s designed to be an interactive experience that embraces the whole individual. There is a saying on the hotel website that reads; “stay here and go places.” This couldn’t be more embodying of the space. Each of the 12 rooms offers a unique experience as it’s named after (and designed according to) some of the owners’ favorite travel locations. Showcased in various rooms and places throughout the hotel are many treasured keepsakes from Andra’s and Keaton’s travels.
Take a look—here’s where you’ll “go” in each room.
- Machu Picchu in Cuzco Region, Peru
- Angkor Wat temple complex in Cambodia
- Barcelona, Spain
- Tulum, Mexico on the Caribbean coast
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Bali, Indonesia
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Beijing, China
- Mumbai, India
- Marrakesh, Morocco
- Paris, France
Marrakesh, Morocco – Find inspiration in the dazzling colors and enchanting sounds of Morocco’s “Jewel of the South.” Located at the foot of the Atlas Mountains, the “Red City” is steeped in ancient artistry which continues to thrive, kept alive by modern craftspeople, and is truly a gateway to its culture, enriched by a densely-packed medina. Home to maze-like alleys, thriving marketplaces and awe-inspiring mosques, Marrakesh evokes fantasies with its archways and minarets rising high over the city. Star-shaped Moorish lattices, sunken fountains, aromatic gardens and dazzling mosaics evidence the Islamic influence in Marrakesh culture
Nairobi, Kenya- Kenya’s beating heart, the capital city is an energetic and modern cosmopolitan experience that boasts a fascinating night life, surrounded by some of Africa’s most iconic wildlife. Encircled by over seventy square miles of plains, cliffs and forest that make up Nairobi National Park, Nairobi is home to the densest concentration of black rhinos in existence. With large herds of zebra, wildebeest, buffalo, giraffe, lion, cheetah, and hippos and more than four hundred species of birds, Nairobi is the perfect balance of urban and natural life.
The Hotel Amenities
Every room comes equipped with luxury linens, cozy robes and slippers, and high-pressured showers. They’re also stocked with locally-sourced soaps and an Amazon Echo. There is also a complimentary wine bar in the lobby and every wine has a backstory which includes the uplifting determination of a woman. emBrazen wine pay tribute to the achievements of Josephine Baker, Nellie Bly, and Celia Cruz.
- Josephine Baker, featured on the emBRAZEN Red Blend, urges that “To realize our dreams, we must decide to wake up.” Josephine went from homelessness to international fame, becoming one of the first women of color to command the global entertainment stage. Rather than simply refusing to perform for segregated audiences, she literally raised the “bar” by opening her own café in Paris, where patrons from all walks of life were welcome. During World War II, she served the Allied cause as a spy.
- Nellie Bly, featured on the emBRAZEN Cabernet Sauvignon, exclaims, “Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything.”Without so much as a college degree, Nellie became a female reporter, shattering norms by refusing to cover “lady-like” topics such as fashion and gardening. Instead, she fueled the fire for female empowerment by writing about the lives of working women, igniting and inspiring the pens of journalists for years to come. She boldly traveled around the world in 72 days, chronicling her escapades.
- Celia Cruz shares sage advice from the emBRAZEN Chardonnay label, “When opportunity presents itself, grab it. Hold on tight and don’t let go.” Celia was brazen from birth – deciding against the life as a teacher to chase her dream of becoming a star. Her unrelenting drive led to a career that exploded into 23 best-selling Gold albums, countless accolades, and the most successful career for any Latin artist – male or female — of the 20th Century.
A breakdown of the Chijmes hotel services:
- Amazon Echo in each room
- Complimentary WineStationlobby
- Smart TV
- Heated towelette massage
- Plush robes and slippers
- Spa services
- Locally-sourced soaps
The Chijmes also gets fresh flowers twice a week and burns incense twice a day for an aromatic, aromatherapy experience that embraces nature.
Some Fun Features to Note
- Owner Andra turned the piano keys from a piano that was left in the church into a beautiful chandelier that features in the hotel.
- The brick in the hotel is the original brick from the chapel that they simply painted
- The hardware in the chapel is from Bali
- This space is not only a hotel, but an events venue that hosts weddings, meetings, and special events.
If you’re a wanderer…
If you’re a traveler who loves unique experiences and spaces…
If you celebrate diversity, culture, and individuality…
…you will love this space. It’s the perfect one-of-a-kind atmosphere to spend a weekend in Dallas where you can rest, recharge, explore, and get inspired.
Head over to the Chijmes Hotel website to book a stay and learn more:
More to come…